Coronavirus COVID-19 Precautions, and Travellers
Many patients with COVID-19 have mild symptoms like a cold or flu and will recover completely with rest, good sleep, fluids, acetaminophen for fever relief (this is preferred instead of Ibuprofen/Motrin/Aleve). Most people do not require any special care. You will need to SELF-ISOLATE and STAY HOME for 14 days. Be mindful of your household members, use a separate bedroom and washroom, practise diligent hand hygiene, stay 2 metres away from other household members, otherwise wear a mask if this is not possible.
If you are feeling very sick or short of breath, please call 911.
Our COVID-19 Assessment Centres are now offering more access to testing. Locally in York Region, Mackenzie Health requires referral from your physician, and Southlake and Markham Stouffville also offer walk-in assessment.
If you have NO symptoms, you do not need a test. Testing sites cannot test patients with no symptoms, and are not testing those with mild symptoms with no risk factors.
**We do not offer COVID-19 testing at our office**
Please ALWAYS CALL before coming in to the office. We wish to limit walk-ins during this time.
During these strained times, be sure to:
- Get outdoors for some fresh air, sunlight and some physical activity, but keep a distance of 2 metres (6 feet) from others outside of your household. If you have been advised to self-isolate however, you should remain at home for 14 days.
- Don’t watch the news for hours at a time. Check information from reliable sources eg. Public Health
- Reach out to each other for support and sharing through video or phone calls. Check up on others remotely who may need assistance or support.
- Get good sleep, good nutrition and find ways to reduce stress, for example, quiet hobbies, yard work, listening to music, meditation, exercise.
- More resources for how to reduce Stress during COVID
For Returning Travellers
**SELF-ISOLATE and STAY HOME for 14 days** if you have travelled outside of Canada (including the USA). This is now the recommendation for ALL travellers returning to Canada, even if no symptoms.
Please consult the destination page on travel.gc.ca for the latest travel advice. The Government of Canada currently is advising against non-essential travel outside of Canada.
If you have travelled outside Canada, it is important to monitor your health when you return to Canada. Symptoms to monitor for include: fever, cough and difficulty breathing for 14 days after you arrive in Canada. If you have these symptoms, Continue to SELF-ISOLATE, call the public health authority in the province or territory you are in to inform them. They will provide advice on what you should do.
COVID-19 Testing Centres are now set up at various hospitals around the Greater Toronto Area, including Mackenzie Health in Richmond Hill.